Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Goin' back to Grease! Or for it...read below

Good day all.  I've been keeping up with the many naturals who are now openly admitting to their union with "GREASE" aka...petroleum, mineral oil, petrolatum...etc...  I'm talking Vaseline and Blue Magic type ish.  After getting my crochet braids out, I was finally able to start trying out some of the products I've been stock piling.  I may or may not have done a little shopping in the Walgreens isles.

I know Black Friday is just a little over a week away, but I'm just not into shipping fees, waiting, and running out of things anymore.  I digress...

I was googling at the selection and sale items (both physically and for reviews of products on my phone).  I walked out with some skinny black scrunchies, bobby pins, a hair trap for my shower, and ORS Edge Control (it was on sale for $3.99 (review to follow)).  That's when I spotted it...for only $1.00, Softee Indian Hemp grease and Softee Mango Butter...and many more uber cheap, petroleum based goodies.  My mind started sweeping through my mental Rolodex of all the blog confessions and curlies standing by their greasy little decisions and seeing great results!  I walked away and vowed to not go back for anything else hair related until everything in my bathroom is gone.
Then today came...and all I could think about at work was that Indian Hemp grease!  I love Ayurvedic haircare...it was haunting me.  So as soon as 5:00 came, I went flying out the door back to Walgreens.  I rationalized that it only cost $1.00 so even if it had to be thrown away, it was nothing to cry over, why not try it?  I get to the isle and spot the Mango Butter too...with its artificial coloring and fragrance.  But I still wanted it!  So I picked them up and began to wander the isles full of guilt for what I knew what would inevitably happen.  But the ingredient list was super short and good with Petroleum, Shea butter, mango butter, and coconut oil.  So...my gemini nature kicked in...I couldn't decide which one to get.  The solution- buy both!  Ohhhhhh the shame!

So, I am now the proud owner of not one, but two jars of hair grease!  And I'm excited!

I didn't even let the cashier give me a bag...I threw them in my purse and hightailed it out of there.  I felt as though I was being watched!  LOL.

I'm giving the Mango Butter a try first.  My hair felt a little crunchy on the ends after a cold day in Chicago.  I just sprayed some aloe juice on the ends...added a little more conditioner...then put a small dab of the Mango Butter to really seal it in. I put a plastic baggie over my bun and secured it with a hair tie. Already my hair feels softer.  I will stick with this routine until I get my hair rebraided next week.  Many a review to follow, but these things take time.  I will keep you posted on who's winning the mineral oil war in my life so you can be inspired to take your pick. So far, so good...crunchy winter hair is never in and if petroleum relieves me of that...it gets to stay. Until then...

XoXo,
LL

2 comments:

  1. I mix oils with my mango butter grease. Apply leave in conditioner to my strains and seal. Love it!! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete